Sunday 1 December 2013

The Search for the Perfect Dress... Mission Accomplished!

So today, on a mission to find the perfect dress, My Mum, Lobster and I got in the car and set off for Bluewater to shop 'til we dropped!



However, in true Holt style we missed the turning and so carried on through the tunnel to Lakeside. This is Libby after finally realising we were in Essex! OMG! 


First Stop was  New Look - quite possibly my favourite clothes shop in the world! I can always trust that I will find something that will fit me perfectly and feel comfortable.

I had been browsing their website all week and this was one I had my eye on, and was fairly confident it would suit me & fit well. And be perfect for the occasion. It seemed just the right amount of formal, with a hint of glitz. I love the colour too, navy is definitely my comfort colour.
 Sadly I was disappointed. It felt too short for me, and gathered in all the wrong places. There;s no question that the dress is beautifully made and would be perfect for the event.  Just not for me and my big bum & hips!

I had also spotted this gorgeous red sparkly number, but was certain it was too glitzy... After all I was looking for something 'formal' & 'not to glam'. But with Mother in my ear repeatedly saying 'But it's a Christmas Party! You're supposed to look glitzy at Christmas!' I tried it on with a number of other sparkly and not so sparkly dresses.


When I tried it on, I loved it! Loved Loved  Loved it! It was greeted by 'Oohs' & 'Aahs' from Mum & Lobster, My only concern was the back, as the sparkle stops and is replaced by a slinky off red fabric which clinged to every lump & bump. Needless to say knickers would be a no go, and that's something I struggle with. Especially with it being as short as it is. Nevertheless, it was on the short list...


I tried this one next. I love the gorgeous detailing at the top, and the mesh panelling was something I'd seen so many people wear and look gorgeous that I wanted to see what it was like on me. 



I can't lie, it was lovely. The shape was so flattering and really suited my figure. The mesh panelling just wouldn't have been suitable for a work occasion. 

So after a few immediate disregarded numbers, this was the last one on the hook to try. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to suit me, let alone be suitable. It had been thrust into my hands with a begging & pleading Lobster 'Oh Pleeeeeease try it Ami, Just try it'.  


 And so I did. I am so glad I did. 

It's shorter than I would usually go for, but the fact that the arms are covered meant I didn't feel over exposed. 




The lining material was soft and silky and comfortable. The shape flattering. The sparkles.. Sparkly.

If you haven't worked out already... This was my perfect dress. 
I won't ruin the full surprise just yet, I'll save the photos of me in the full outfit until the night! 

After all that hard work we paid Sainsy's Pie & Mash a visit.. I savoured every mouthful of it... Now to try and slim down, just a little bit, just so I am totally happy on the night! 




Are you going to a Christmas party this year? What will you wear? 

No comments:

Post a Comment