Saturday 8 February 2014

Getting Fit, Not Thin

With all this talk EVERYWHERE about diets and calorie counting I am getting frustrated! We've seen it time after time where public figures have gone to extreme lengths to lose weight, to just put it all back on (and more) a year later. Surely, this is harming their health. Surely the constant change in food in take is doing more harm than good?

The thing is... MOST diets are unsustainable. Whether it be no carbs, 5/2, cutting out sugar, ditching dairy or just eating far less than you should. At the end of your day, your body needs a balanced diet. It needs carbohydrates for energy, dairy products for strength, meat for protein yada yada yada. Were we not taught this at primary school? Is this not familiar??



That's why this year my aim is to get FIT not THIN. Because personally, I don't think thin is always healthy. Too often we see extreme dieting and pressure on dieting lead to bad health - eating disorders, vitamin deficiencies & fatigue.

I have been a size 10 for as long as I can remember. Yes at some points of the month I'm heavier or lighter, my jeans are looser or tighter, but fundamentally I am a size 10.


So here's my Fit not Thin Plan...

I will be going to the gym twice a week for an hour at a time, following a strict programme of cardio, free weights and stretch activities. I'll post my programme here is the next few days.
I will walk for half an hour each evening. This can easily be tied in with walking the dog, popping to the shops, or just taking the long way home from the train / bus station.
I will be eating a healthy balanced diet, following the proportions in the diagram above.
I will set myself achievable targets and work to them by training to run the Race for Life for Cancer Research & the NUTS challenge for the Lullaby Trust.

Will you join me in getting Fit not Thin and setting an example to our own generation and generations to come? 



No comments:

Post a Comment