Sunday 2 March 2014

Matilda Mae Remembers

Dear Matilda Mae,

I wrote to you just under a month ago, in the lead up to your anniversary.

I wrote to you and promised that you would never be forgotten.

Yesterday, on the eve of 13 months since you past, we remembered you and your Angel friends, who I've no doubt were sitting up there smiling and sending us all a little bit of sunshine.

Yesterday, good, loving people came together, and gathered at the church where your family bid you farewell. The best of people stood together and without drama, without competition, without question, stood side by side and supported eachother.

I was perhaps the youngest member of the congregation. I do not have very much of a story of my own to tell. At least, not one that I can bring myself to share with the world just yet. Instead, I had the honour of sharing the story of one of life's everyday heroes, a lady who spends everyday caring for and saving the vulnerable babies & children.

I cannot tell you how touched I was, I am, by the stories shared. I sat and I sobbed for the families going through the sheer pain that your own parents are. I cried for their loss. I cried for how utterly unfair it is that some babies are destined for the skies. Your wonderful godmother, held my hand the whole way through.

I made you a promise to always remember, to never forget. To never stop spreading your legacy.

Yesterday, I, with so many others remembered you and your angel friends.

Yesterday, your legacy spread that little bit more.





1 comment: