Wednesday 23 April 2014

Chocolate Candy Cake

On Saturday, it was my Mum's birthday and what with it being so close to Easter too, we decided to make an Easter - Birthday Cake for her.

Generally, I am a useless baker. Honestly rubbish. The last time I made a cake we ended up with a hard sponge with a burnt chocolate chip mess at the bottom! 

This time, I went for something that would be simple to make but easy to make pretty and hopefully taste good too. 



To avoid any disasters, I used 2 packets of premixed cake mix and simply added eggs & water. I find it is not only easier but much cheaper this way! 

Once the mix was fully stirred and without any lumps I poured the whole mixture into a well greased deep cake tin (one of those with the removable bottoms) and baked for 30-40 minutes at 180. 

While the cake was rising nicely in the oven, we made our chocolate icing. 

We combined a few blobs of butter and some icing sugar (sorry! I'm more of a keep adding until it looks right than a 'we must measure everything perfectly' kind of baker) in a bowl until a smooth mixture is formed. We then melted 2 bars of milk chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water which were added to the butter icing to form what became a glorious melt in your mouth bowl of wonder. 

Once the cake was baked and had cooled down, we covered it evenly in layers of the chocolate icing before decorating the outside with Cadbury Chocolate fingers and filling the the top with cadbury mini eggs and smarties eggs.

Et Voila! 

Despite Libby later dropping the cake ON THE DOG!!! it tasted really good and I'll definitely be making it again, perhaps for the Baby Tilda Barn Dance. The beauty of it is that you can top it with any sweets you like so it doesn't have to be Easter themed either! 

Over all I think I spent about £7.00 on the ingredients for this cake. 


What's your favourite thing to bake? 

8 comments:

  1. ok you got me at chocolate lol, i love a choc cake x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my 9yr old would say, O.M.G! I bake a lot of cakes and never once have I thought of using chocolate fingers and eggs/smarties on the top. Makes it look SO amazing! This looks great and I bet it tasted great too!

    Thanks so much for sharing and linking up to #MMWBH xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yum yum, simple but looks really effective :-) x Char

    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm must not think of the calories ;) #mmwbh x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just looks like a massive chocolate fest! My daughter would love this and it looks so good too. We did a lot of baking over the holidays and made lots of Easter biscuits over the weekend xx

    Charli | Secrets Behind The Closet Door

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love these type of cakes. This looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so lush and yummy! #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although unfortunate, I bet the dog was overly excited once he realised what fell on him hehe!
    This cake looks so yummy, makes me wanna bake x

    Rachel
    www.times2style.co.uk

    ReplyDelete